You have always dreamed of buying that sleek-looking furniture for your new home. That furniture that you saw at the store the other day, has just moved the right strings in your heart and you cannot rest until you get that furniture into your brand-new home.
You have already spent a lot of money, getting financing on your home and paying off a high deposit, has drained you, financially. Your paycheck is just enough without the burden of any new extra interest payments to take on.
Well, the good news is that you can now own the furniture, and what’s more, you can actually pay for the furniture, with a zero-interest liability. How do you ask? You can do this if you use a Rooms To Go Credit card.
With nearly 150 furniture showrooms and stores, this independent furniture retailer is numero uno in the USA. This chain of stores and showrooms is definitely positioned to offer you affordable pricing on all your home furniture needs. If you are looking for furniture and are in the market to buy, then the Rooms To Go Credit Card at zero interest liability, offered by Synchrony Bank is the card for you.
The Rooms To Go Credit card is the official credit card for this furniture chain, across all its 150 showrooms and stores. You see, with this card you are not liable to pay any interest payments for the first 180 days or 6 months, after purchase. Using this card, you are entitled to special offers on financial deals for furniture purchases across the chain.
As is always wise, it is advisable to read the “small print” in the terms and conditions section of offer documents or advertisements, before you commit yourself to any purchases.
Let us find out if the Room To Go Credit card is the right card for you. We will do this by checking out its features.
Features in Brief of the Room To Go Credit card
The card has the following features:
- No annual fee charges
- You do not pay any interest for the first 6 months, after purchase
- Zero down payment required
- If you make your minimum payments, you are entitled to interest-free financing for up to 6 months. Option to defer furniture payments for 6 months is the biggest benefit of the Room To Go Credit card
- You have an option to defer interest payments longer, on larger purchases
- On their website, Room To Go occasionally offers specials to customers who purchase furniture for $600 or more. These customers may be allowed to extend their deferred interest period, to five years.
- It is designed and is available for furniture purchases, only across the 150 showrooms and outlets of Rooms To Go.
- Applicable APR is generally high, at 29.99%, 6 months after purchase.
- You do not receive any bonus on signing up
- No rewards program
- No discounts are offered
- Special deals are rare
- High minimum monthly payment to avail your 0%APR for the first 6 months. This is the greater of $75 or 5% of your account balance. For some cardholders, this may be unaffordable. Failure to pay this minimum monthly payment will result in your APR going from 0 to almost 30%.
We see from the above features that the purpose of the card is to facilitate a loan for your furniture purchase. This means you can finance your purchase with money, you don’t have with you. You can do this without the liability of paying any interest, for 180 days.
If you are in a position to pay off your purchase amount in 6 months then this card will charge you zero% interest, else interest accrues on your account at a high 29.99%.
You will, most probably, get approved on the same day that you submit your online application to Room To Go. Things to keep in mind are that this card is only for furniture purchases without a down payment, and you do not earn any rewards or benefits, like sign-up bonuses or cashback, for example.
It is a very easy and simple process to apply for this card and get approved. The Rooms To Go Credit Score requirements are between 630 and 689, with a minimum of 630.
Alternatives to Rooms To Go Credit card
We see that there are more downsides than upsides to this card. There are other cards out there in the market that give may give you a better deal.
Most other credit cards have a minimum monthly payment amount between $30 and $50 as compared to Rooms To Go Credit cards high of $75 or 5% of the account balance.
A little mathematics will give you a better perspective. Suppose you purchase furniture worth $2500. This implies you are paying an interest-free amount of 5% of 2000 which is $100 every month for the first 6 months.
After 6 months, your monthly payments go up to 29.99% of your balance, which is not $1400 if you have regularly paid your monthly payments. Now your monthly payment is 29.99% of $1400 is $419.86. Stratospheric or extortionate? Either synonym will apply!
You need to understand that the Rooms to Go Credit card, may not be the right card for you, as after 6 months your payment liabilities may become impossible for you to pay.
Alternate credit cards may have similar terms and conditions, as well as the high APR’s comparable to the Rooms To Go Credit card but, an important feature of alternate non-store cards may be of immense benefit to you. You see, alternate credit cards may offer a much longer 0% introductory period. So, you can enjoy interest-free monthly payments for a much longer time as compared to that offered by the Rooms To Go Credit card.
Once the 0% APR period expires, you may be eligible for a lower APR% rate on an alternate credit card, depending on your credit score. But, the beauty of a longer introductory period, say 12 or even 18 months, is that you may be able to pay off your furniture purchase amount even before the interest-free period expires. Now isn’t this a very attractive reason to check out alternative cards?
City Simplicity Credit card
This credit card offers the following features:
- Introductory rate of 0% APR for 18 months from the date of account opening on purchases or from the date of the first transfer
- Standard variable APR rate between 14.7% and 24.74% depending on your credit history
- Cashback earnings on every purchase
- $200 cashback offer for new cardholders spending $500 on purchases in first 3 months
- No Annual fee
Chase Freedom Credit Card
This credit card offers the following features:
- Introductory rate of 0% APR for 15 months from the date of account opening on purchases
- Standard variable APR rate between 14.99% and 23.74% depending on your credit history
- Minimum interest charge – $0.50
- Annual fee – None
The Takeaway from Rooms To Go Credit card Review
Rooms To Go are a furniture chain that’s possibly one of the best in the USA. It offers a credit card that is limited for use only to buy furniture from the 150 stores and showrooms in its chain.
The best benefit for a cardholder is that you can use this card to finance your furniture purchase on a 6-month interest-free loan if you do not have access to funds. The APR% gets very expensive if you miss your monthly payments and also after the introductory period expires.
This high APR and unfavorable terms make it a card to avoid and look seriously at credit card alternatives. You could, of course, take advantage of this card only if you are able to pay off your purchase amount in under 6 months, not otherwise.
It is safer for you to investigate and settle for an alternative credit card that offers you a longer introductory APR of up to 18 months so that you can pay your purchase amount within this period and enjoy 0% interest on your furniture purchase. We have checked out the features of two alternate credit cards in this review.